Explore our Disability Supports and Services Directory
0800 008 011
Learning & Information | Rukuhia Te Puna Mātauranga

Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC)

Young man talking to another young man in a wheelchair

If someone you care for needs support because of a disability, you can contact your local Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) service.

Your local NASC can identify the kinds of services that are available to support you and the person you care for. This could include Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People-funded services like home help, personal care, and community programmes. It may also include, respite services, carer support and family funded care, which allows disabled people to employ family members (other than a spouse or partner) to provide care.

Find out what kinds of Ministry of Health-funded disability support services may be available through NASC.

How do I get a needs assessment?

Anyone that has a physical, intellectual and/or sensory impairment or disability that is likely to last more than six months can be assessed.

You can make a referral for the person you are caring for, but you must have their permission first. In most cases you will need to fill in a referral form. You can request one from your local NASC.

Life Unlimited (now known as Your Way | Kia Roha) provide NASC services in the Tairāwhiti, Taranaki, Whanganui, Hutt, Otago and Southland areas. Our Bay of Plenty team provides Local Area Coordination. You can find a list of NASC providers for all regions at Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled Peoples website.

What does NASC do?

Your NASC provider will take time getting to know you and the person you care for so they understand your individual circumstances.

Then they will help put together a support plan that includes a range of support options, such as support from family, whānau and friends; support from the wider community such as local groups and community agencies; as well as nationally-funded support services.

The NASC can work with other agencies and services to coordinate the support plan. Or, where appropriate, they might recommend Individualised Funding (IF). IF offers greater control over managing supports. Learn more about Individualised Funding at Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People website, or read our page about new approaches to disability funding.

If you live in the Hutt Valley, Bay of Plenty or Otago and Southland regions, your NASC can put you in contact with a Local Area Coordinator (LAC). LACs can help you connect with groups, organisations and businesses in your community.

You may also be interested in

Living at home with your family can be a good option for people...
New information has been released by Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People...

Suggest an edit for Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC)

Suggest an edit for Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC)