Learning & Information | Rukuhia Te Puna Mātauranga

Learn about Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC)

Four people sitting around table setting goals

If you need support because of a disability, you can talk with your local Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) service.

Your local NASC can assess your needs and help you identify the kinds of support services you need to lead a good life. This could include home help, personal care, community programmes and support for your carers.

Life Unlimited (now know as Your Way | Kia Roha) provides NASC services in the Tairāwhiti, Taranaki, Whanganui, Hutt, Otago and Southland regions. You can find a list of NASC providers for all regions at the Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People website.

Who can get a needs assessment?

You can get a needs assessment if you have a physical, intellectual and/or sensory impairment or disability that is likely to last more than six months, and that requires ongoing support.

How do I get a needs assessment?

You can refer yourself, or a referral can be made for you by a family/whānau member, friend, doctor, health professional or disability support group — but they must have your permission first.

In most cases you will need to fill in a referral form. You can request one from your local NASC.

What’s involved in a needs assessment?

To make sure you get the right support, your NASC will need to get to know you so they can understand what your strengths, abilities, resources and goals are.

Your NASC will help you make a plan to make sure you get the support you need right now, and the support you need to help you meet your future goals.

Your support plan will include a range of support options, including support from family, whānau and friends; support from your wider community such as local groups and community agencies; as well as nationally-funded support services.

Find out what kinds of funded disability support services may be available through NASC at Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People.

With your consent, the NASC will work with other agencies and services to coordinate your support plan. Or, if appropriate, they might talk with you about Individualised Funding (IF). IF gives you greater control over managing your supports. Learn more about Individualised Funding at the Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People website or read our page about new approaches to disability funding.

If you live in the Bay of Plenty, your NASC can put you in contact with a Local Area Coordinator (LAC). LACs can help you connect with groups, organisations and businesses in your community.

Learn more about NASC, Connections & Funding provided by Your Way | Kia Roha.

You may also be interested in

Supported employment means finding ways to assist people with disabilities to reach...
Here are some ideas for support available for people with disabilities who want...