The New Zealand Disability Strategy identified the need for greater awareness of disabled people and the issues that surround them.
This workshop provides a foundational understanding of the range of disability experiences, tailored to participants’ workplaces. It is ideal as part of your induction for new team members.
Who the Workshop is For
This disability training workshop is designed for businesses, local authorities, government or other community organisations.
What You Will Learn
Disability Start training offers access to up-to-date information on disability issues.
- Learn how different models of disability impact attitudes to disabled people
- Identify the best model to enhance opportunities for belonging and full community participation
- Hear about a range of disability experiences and learn how you can make a difference
- Gain an understanding of various accessibility needs and what you can do to support.
We are able to tailor these sessions to meet the needs of the participants.
As part of each training session, all participants receive a comprehensive training manual for future reference. Our team are also available for any on-going support or training that may be needed.
What are the objectives of this training?
The main objective of this training is to assist the participants in becoming more aware of disability issues and the inclusion of disabled people in today’s society.
We provide strategies that will assist participants to implement key aspects of diversity into their daily professional practice.
An example of the topics covered:
The language and types of disability:
- A brief overview of various disabilities and their impact on daily living.
An inclusive society in today’s environment:
- Community attitude to disability
- Accessibility – looking at our environment
- Political changes in New Zealand
- Social and medical models of disability.
Practical exercises around disability barriers:
- Practical simulations (physical experience highlighting key issues outlined in the training) incorporating a comprehensive debriefing and reflective session
- Demonstration of assistive and adaptive equipment in association with Mobility Centre
Duration: 2 hours
Where available: In-person workshops at your location, or online via Zoom or MS Teams.
Facilitators: All our learning events are facilitated by presenters with in-depth knowledge and/or lived experience of disability.
To enquire about this training phone us on 0800 008 011 or fill in this enquiry form: