Learning & Information | Rukuhia Te Puna Mātauranga

Finding financial support


Work and Income may be able to help with living costs if you are unable to work, or if you have to work fewer hours, because of disability.

You will need to meet certain criteria to get support, and you will have to provide evidence of your disability, such as reports from your doctor.

Find out what financial support you could get from Work and Income.

To apply for support from Work and Income, you will need to complete an online application form. You may also need to provide other documents to support your application.

Please note Life Unlimited (now known as Your Way | Kia Roha) cannot legally advise on applications and does not work with case managers. To learn more about your eligibility for support, we encourage you to contact Work and Income.

Supported Living Payment

The Supported Living Payment is for people who have a severe and permanent health condition, injury or disability that stops them from being able to work.

Jobseeker Support

If you are temporarily unable to work because of a health condition, injury or disability, you may qualify for Jobseeker Support. You will need to prepare for work while receiving Jobseeker Support.

Disability Allowance

The Disability Allowance is a weekly payment for people who have regular, ongoing costs because of a disability, such as visits to the doctor or hospital, medicines, food expenses, extra clothing or travel.

Accommodation Supplement

The Accommodation Supplement is a weekly payment that helps people with their rent, board or the cost of owning a home.

Community Services Card

The Community Services Card can help you with the costs of health care. You’ll pay less on some health services and prescriptions.

Emergency or unforeseen costs

If you have an unexpected expense and don’t know how you will cover the cost, Work and Income may be able to help – even if you’re not receiving a benefit. They may be able to help with things like food, power bills, unexpected house or car repairs, dental treatment or bereavement costs. You will need to talk with them about your circumstances to see if they can help.

A Recoverable Assistance Payment can be used to pay for things like home appliances or rent arrears when you have no other way of covering the cost. You will need to pay the grant back, but you can pay in instalments.

A Special Needs Grant is a payment to help people in certain circumstances pay for something when they have no other way of paying for it. You don’t usually have to pay them back either.

Temporary Additional Support is a weekly payment that helps someone who can’t meet their essential living costs from what they earn or from other sources.

The Emergency Benefit is assistance that may be paid to people who cannot support themselves and who do not qualify for any other payments.

Related articles

I need help with Work and Income

Find an advocate

You may also be interested in

Modification grant A modification grant from Work and Income is available to...
The Mid Central System Transformation trial launched on 1 October 2018. Visit...

Suggest an edit for Finding financial support

Suggest an edit for Finding financial support