Explore our Disability Supports and Services Directory
0800 008 011
Learning & Information | Rukuhia Te Puna Mātauranga

School modifications and transport support

Wheelchair access ramp going into a school room

Schools and kura are responsible for making sure they are safe and accessible for all students. So, if your child needs wheelchair access, or if they require handrails or other building changes, the school will need to arrange suitable modifications.

Modifications may take time, and will involve input from you, the Ministry of Education property team and a physiotherapist or occupational therapist, so it’s best to talk with your chosen school ahead of time so any work can be completed before your child starts school.  Or you may want to consider a school that already has modifications in place.

Learn more about the Physical Disability Service at the Ministry of Education.

The Ministry of Education may also be able to fund your school to provide additional assistive technology, such as computer equipment, special seating, hearing equipment or software, to support your child’s learning.

Learn more about assistive technology at the Ministry of Education.

If your school-aged child needs help getting to school safely, they may be eligible for Special Needs Transport Assistance (SESTA) from the Ministry of Education. SESTA can be used for transport to and from school by school bus or another contracted transport provider, or it may be administered as an allowance to help cover the cost of transport.

You may also be interested in

Parenting can be both a joy and a challenge. Thankfully there’s lots...

Suggest an edit for School modifications and transport support

Suggest an edit for School modifications and transport support