Closed Captions (CC) are crucial for making Zoom e-meetings and e-learning materials accessible to all participants, including those who are hearing impaired. Closed Captions provide transcriptions of dialogues and other audio content. Follow the steps below to enable Closed Captions in your Zoom sessions.
Enabling Closed Captions in the Zoom Desktop App
- Click on your profile picture and select “Settings.”
- Navigate to the “Accessibility” tab.
- Under “Closed Captioning,” check the box to enable “Always show captions.”
- Once the host enables captions in the meeting or webinar, they will be automatically displayed for you.
Enabling Closed Captions in a Web Browser
- Log into your Zoom profile on your web browser.
- Select “Settings” on the left-hand side, then choose “Meeting” at the top.
- Scroll down to the “In Meeting (Advanced)” options and click on it.
- Locate “Closed captioning” and toggle the switch to turn it on (the switch will turn blue).
- A message will appear, stating that turning on this option will also activate the “Save Captions feature below.” Click “Turn On.”
- A new option will show up that says, “Enable live transcription service…” Check the box beside it and click “Save” to enable this feature.
- When hosting a Zoom session, you will now see a new Closed Caption / Live Transcript feature at the bottom of the Zoom window.
Activating Closed Captions in a Zoom Session
- Click on the “Closed Caption” button at the bottom of the Zoom window.
- A list of options will appear. Click on “Live Transcript” at the bottom to toggle captions on.
- As the host, you will now see captions at the bottom of your Zoom window.
- Participants can activate captions by clicking the arrow to the right of their “Closed Caption” button.
- Participants can choose to display captions as subtitles within the Zoom window or in the chat bar to the right of the Zoom window.
- If the latter option is selected, the entire transcript can be saved by clicking “Save Transcript” in the bottom-right corner.
For visual instructions on how to enable Closed Captions for Zoom meetings, please click here watch this video clip: Zoom Closed Captioning | Quick and Easy Tutorial.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your Zoom sessions are inclusive and accessible to all participants, regardless of their hearing abilities.