Explore our Disability Supports and Services Directory
0800 008 011
Learning & Information | Rukuhia Te Puna Mātauranga

Community residential homes an option for some

Woman preparing vegetables for dinner

Residential homes within the community are an option for some people who need a higher level of support, as often there is a caregiver on-site to help out.  Funded by the Ministry of Health, community residential homes are for people with long-term physical, intellectual and/or sensory disabilities who meet certain criteria after being assessed by your NASC.

There are two main types of homes – for people with an intellectual disability, and for people with a physical and/or a sensory disability.

What support do people receive at a residential home?

Residential homes aim to be as close to a home-like setting as possible. In a residential home, people can receive 24-hour-a-day care if needed with things such as:

  • planning and preparing meals
  • daily personal care (dressing, bathing etc)
  • household jobs such as laundry and housework
  • learning new skills and having new experiences
  • getting out and about and doing things in the community such as joining support groups and mixing with other people
  • accessing community services such as doctors, dentists, hairdressers and banking services.

What about goals?

The provider will work closely with the person and their family/whānau from the outset to ensure that specific needs are best met. A plan should be developed to help the person with disabilities achieve short-term and long-term goals, which will frame daily activities.

Who would they live with?

Usually, a resident would live with other disabled people, with access to support workers when they need them. Some people receive support overnight while others remain independent.

How can I apply?

To live in a community residential home, you need to first have a needs assessment with your local NASC. They have a list of local providers and can help you choose a home that’s right for the person you support.

For more information about community residential homes, check out the Ministry of Health’s booklet What You Need to Know or talk to your local NASC.

You may also be interested in

Children find it harder to cope with change. A significant change such...
If your child has a disability, or you’re concerned that they are...

Suggest an edit for Community residential homes an option for some

Suggest an edit for Community residential homes an option for some